Saturday, August 22, 2009

#24

24 is the one I met at my dinner group and wrote me a lovely email. We were supposed to go out last night, but he called and told me that he had to do a tremendous amount of work for an August 31st deadline. I believe it - he gave me some details. He said he was really sorry several times and that he really wants to get together with me.
He called me today and kept trying to get me to agree to meet him at 10 o'clock sometime during the week so he could see me. I told him it was too late for a date, and then he says, it doesn't have to be a date and gave a decent argument for it all - we can meet without it being over food, etc - somewhat persuasive. I told him I can see why he's a good attorney, but stood my ground. I don't know if this means that he's good at getting what he wants and I might have to be careful about standing up for what I want/need/deserve or not. I don't know.
It's very hard for me to stand my ground in dating situations - like when #23 asked me to drive him to his parking garage, and I really didn't want to, but he kept pushing and I relented. I don't want to be manipulated. And if you don't have time to meet me until 10 pm, you can wait until you do! Which may be next Friday? I wasn't clear - I guess he's in a hurry to see me. So that's flattering.
Apparently he's not good at basic stuff like changing the battery in his SunPass, which is both funny and disconcerting. He said it was sexy when I said I'm handy with a power drill. We joked that I could come to his place and install hooks on his doors, which I do whenever I move into a new apartment. It makes me feel better since I don't have the huge career and salary and fancy car, because I'm still useful - I still contribute. Like if we were together and he paid for stuff, I could keep things on equal footing because I could, like, do minor home improvement things that he totally can't. On the other hand, I always find it sort of scary when men can't do even these little things, since my dad is super handy, and that's what I'm accustomed to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your padre felt you were right to not meet at 10 PM, "good reasoning". Also most guys are not super handy with stuff.
I say I agree. 10 PM is not "reasonable" during the work week. It's fine to say you want to meet when there is enough time to "relax" when meeting.