Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Saturday Night, Part I

I haven't been getting out of the house much recently, between being out of town two weekends ago, moving last weekend, and being generally under the weather for quite a while. I was determined to be a normal, single 29-year-old again on Saturday, if just for the night!

I asked me friend to take me along with whatever she did that night. We met at the Playwright on sobe, stayed for a little while. Then we went across the street to this billiards place that's trying to make itself into a nightclub - during a recession. My friend knows the girl who is charge of promoting the place, and we basically went in, it was dead, and left. We went to a place next door, where I had a hamburger and fries along with my beer. There were some cute guys, but they seemed ... boorish (and too young). Then we went back to the Playwright and I did my womanly duty of picking guys up. I thought they were both Latin, but then the taller, cuter one said his name was "Sam" and I was like, uh-oh. Arab alert! I don't do Middle Eastern guys anymore. I did that in college and stuff. It wasn't pretty. Sorry to stereotype, but they don't treat women like American men do.

Then we find out they're like 23 years old. "Well, I'm almost 24," Sam says. Hilarious!

Then, they say they're going to a club, and this is the part where we're supposed to act like we want to go with them. Instead I say, "I don't really like clubs." Sam drops the lame line, "I go because I really like the music." Yeah, right! Then I say, "I'm not into dancing with sweaty strangers," to which he responds by doing a little dance move like he's totally into dancing with sweaty strangers - which, of course, at 23 years old, he is!

So my friend and I decided to head back to the billiards place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean with the Arab guys. I have a friend who only likes to date Moroccan guys. No idea why, b/c they treat her like shit every time, but she will specifically go to restaurants and clubs frequented by Moroccans in order to meet them. And she's Vietnamese-American. 70% of the time they have a girl back in Morocco, a wife back in Morocco, or 2 other girls they're dating in the U.S.

And Sam is such a dumb name . . .

Almost in America said...

I fell for a Sam in college (Samir) then a Sami (UAE/Syrian). Before that I dated a Yassir (Syria) and a wimpy but jealous Pakistani guy. After all of those, I've tried to avoid them. My last bf was as white as they come (but alas, loved pot most of all).