Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hard Reset: I'm a Big Girl Now

There's an Ingrid Michaelson song that starts "I could write my name at the age of three/and I don't need anyone to cut my meat for me/I'm a big girl now/See my big girl shoes..."

My Samsung Blackjack II (it's in between a Blackberry Pearl and Curve in terms of features) was losing its mind. And I've learned recently that the tech people at AT&T, and probably all other wireless carriers, are totally useless in helping with real problems. They tell you to return the phone or something lame and annoying. So I googled the issues (inappropriate beeping - how relevant to someone like me!; ringtones "corrupted"; etc.) and discovered that I was going to have to do a hard reset. Not just take out the battery and the SIM card, but actually restore factory settings. Oy.

So I installed the synchronizing software on my laptop to download all my contacts from my phone, converted SIM contacts to Outlook contacts, etc. - it was fun to have the phone and laptop synching the whole time!

Then I did the hard reset, set up my email accounts again, changed my settings again, etc.

Then I lay in bed looking at the ceiling and thought, "I'm a big girl now! I fixed a major technical problem all by myself without losing any data!"

Sometimes it's really helpful to be reminded that I am, in fact, pretty damn self-sufficient. And I don't need anyone to cut my meat for me.

No comments: