Sunday, November 9, 2008

Saturday at the Dinner-Movie Theater

Last night I went to the Cobb CineBistro at the Dolphin Mall with some girls from my book club. It was pretty darn fun! It's one of those places where you have to be 21 to go in, and it's got a nice dinner and drinks menu. Our food was really good.

We saw Body of Lies. It veered away from the overarching theme of "watch out, we're totally fucking up in the Middle East" to some degree, and I don't think it was particularly well done, but overall it was definitely a good flick. I think Leo DiCaprio is getting to be pretty hot as a badass international man of mystery (see Blood Diamond), and Russell Crowe as someone's fat, middle-aged dad was fun to see, as well as Leo's super important Jordanian contact, this very sexy guy (if you go for that sort) who calls Leo "my dear," and doesn't mean it sexually but it comes off that way anyway.

I just have to say this about the Dolphin Mall: it is a paean to American consumerism, with its seven named and themed hallways of stores, numbered entrances so you can figure out where the hell you left your car, shopping cart dispensers at the entrances, valet parking, special parking for tour buses, and a movie theater, Dave & Busters, and fancy bowling alley with good food; all it's missing is a ski resort like that place in Dubai - because yes, it has a Marriott. And half the people there don't speak English because it's in Doral. Just to get to the theater I had to walk from entrance 5 to hallway 3, then up the stairs; but to leave I took the stairs down to hallway 3 and left out of entrance 7 because they closed hallway 6 and I couldn't get to hallway 5. Seriously. One good point: a lot of anchor stores have their own entrances on the parking lots. I think this shows a lot of forethought by the designers. They are some brilliant people, coming up with this Disney-esque world of themed hallways, signs telling you where to go, and bright colors everywhere. It put me in a better mood than I would have been at any other crowded mall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hate malls, and most times the public as well ..

Almost in America said...

Misanthrope!