Thursday, January 8, 2009

#11 - No way!

Last night I went out with #11, who is a filmmaker (for real) here in Miami. He seems like a nice guy but as soon as I saw him in front of the restaurant I knew it was a no-go. He's short and overweight and balding. And he was wearing a tropical print shirt - I mean, it's Miami and people do that, but I was thinking, "This guy looks like a schlub," which of course led immediately to guilt. What a terrible person I am to think stuff like that! But I felt a little funny even going in the restaurant with him - like it was soooo obvious we were on some sort of blind date. I just didn't feel that weirdness when I met #9, or #8 for that matter. I had a nice-ish time, I guess, but the whole time I felt guilty. We had Japanese and he ordered a big shared thing for us - and later I saw the bill: like $75! It wouldn't have added up like that if we had gone for separate meals or just some rolls. Ugh. I offered to split it - I felt bad. As we were saying our goodbyes he was like, "So do you want to get together again?" No! No! But I said okay, and he asked about later this week, which I could honestly say was not good for me, but I said later would be good (egads). He said, "Call me Friday, if you can." I agreed. Then walked to my car feeling rather bad.

Then I texted #9 and we had a pretty awesome conversation for like an hour and half until he had to go so he could finish packing for his departure to France today. Crap, I still really like him. I worry that therefore there must be something terribly wrong with him. People laugh when I say this, but given my track record... But when I think about him, get a text from him, or talk to him on the phone, I get that stupid grin on my face we all get when we like someone *a lot.* So there you have it.

The 22 y/o is pissing me off. He never got back to me after I called him on Saturday so I emailed him to make sure he got the voicemail (connection was bad). He had - apparently he continuously hosts family members in his tiny studio on sobe. Must be like an Italian mafia meeting in there all the time (sorry, he's Italian but so am I!). Probably too much family drama for my taste anyway. And he wants to meet for coffee Wed - common sense dictates that Wed would have to be in the evening. I ain't driving 20-30 minutes to the gables or sobe for coffee at dinnertime!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So tell him driving there for coffee is too hectic and you're so sorry, being "nice". leave it at that. see if he comes up with another idea.

Anonymous said...

I think you're experiencing "textacy" with #9.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Textacy

Almost in America said...

What a cool word!

Oh, the 22 y/o totally blew me off, which is awesome because I am still exhausted and I need to go to the hardware store and the library.

Anonymous said...

Good to clear him out of your way!